Friday, September 10, 2004

School and Old People Eating

After my volunteer work today, I went by school. I wanted to see which class I was in, day or evening. I wanted evening, but I got day, which means I am not in class, with B. Too bad. Should be fun. I'm glad I'm in class. I feel like I'm sliding backwards into not speaking, and I hate that. I'm relieved to be in any class at all.

Had an interesting conversation about old Dutch people and food today. This guy, F, at work said that he thinks many people still think like it's the war and they don't like to waste food. When we were cleaning up today, I noticed that there were plenty of clean plates. Of course, this could have something to do with the choice of food today, but I doubt it. I think it's just a big clean plate club thing.

There's also a thing that many people do that I find sort of disturbing and gross, mind you, not everyone does, but a handful do. They mash all their food up together in one pile. It's sort of gross, but if that's what you like, it's what you like.

I have to read the menu to several of them every day. I'm totally sounding things out. Half the time I don't know what it is, but they usually do. I think eating is one of the highlights of their day. It's a nice place that.

No comments: