Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Buzz of the Day

I just returned home after my Tuesday volunteer gig - the homeless drop-in place - De Kloof. The buzz of the day is the election. I was asked by several people, "Who are you voting for?" It's amazing to people here, most of whom are not American, that there's a decent chance that Bush will get re-elected. People cannot see why so many Americans like him. I just shrug. I don't get it either. I don't need to make a list of adjectives to describe him here. Suffice it to say that I voted Kerry with my one vote.

We had some friends over for dinner last night. Of course we discussed the election. F and both of the others think Bush will win. They see the polls and think the fact that he's an incumbant will pull him through. They think Americans are stupid for liking him. My mother thinks that the man God wants to win will win. I think that's oversimplifying it. In my opinion, God let's people - and nations - make decisions freely. If America choses Bush, it will have to face the consequences. The average American has no idea how bad he is for the image of the country. Outside the US, people look at him and shake their heads at him. He seems to have no understanding that America is a PART of the world.

A guy came into De Kloof today and said he'd like a haircut. We have free haircuts on Tuesdays and Thursdays. This man had shoulder-length brown hair and a beard. When it came his turn, I watched in amazement as the barber trimmed his beard to razor stubble and then began hacking at his hair until he had the hairdo of a banker. I remembered some show where someone's long hair was given to an organization that makes wigs for children with cancer. This hair - probably not washed in a while - went into the garbage. What makes someone decide that they finally want to have all the hair cut off? It wasn't particularly attractive hair, but it's such a huge change. Why people make decision...it's very personal.

No comments: