Monday, February 28, 2005

My friend Frede

Today I had my interview with Frede. I'd gotten a phone call from her on Thursday and she said that she didn't know how to proceed with my inburgering. She made an appointment for me at 9:00 on Monday morning! The nerve! I was there at 8:55.

They gist of the appointment was that she didn't know what I wanted to do with the Dutch classes. Since I got Level 3 on my test, I am free to go. She can write me a "Vrijstelling." I guess that translates to a "Get Out of Inburgering Free" card. However, if I want, I can take the classes for free. This is the same information Kee gave me.

HOWEVER, she told me, if I decide to sign up for the Dutch classes, I am "in the system." This means that if after six months or so I feel like I need to drop out, I am obliged to continue. This is different information than Kee gave me. She told me that I would qualify for the advanced classes, but they are during the day. We discussed the options.

I told her that I would love to take classes, but only in the evenings. If I cannot get exempted from taking day classes (due to the fact that they don't consider volunteer work to be real enough work), I said I would take the vrijstelling. But if I can take the evening classes, I will.

Frede was just another really lovely woman I've met during this process. Probably late 40's, very well put together, classy little reading glasses. We'll see what happens.

No comments: