Tuesday, October 25, 2005

It's About the Weather

It's been raining here for a few days. In typical non-conversation work conversation, a Danish fellow named Ori said to me yesterday, "Yeah, so, this weather is pretty horrible, huh?"

In my non-typical response fashion, I said, "I like the weather here."

I've written about this before, but the grayness of the Netherlands doesn't bother me. I always say it's because I carry the sunshine in my heart. It's probably more because I was reared in Texas and I feel like I've sort of had my fill of sun. These Dutch (and obviously some of their Danish visitors) sort of feel like they've been handed free money when they get a sunny day. You should see the smiles on their faces when it's a bright sunny day outside. I think, Maybe you should move some place where it's sunny, Dude.

Today, someone at lunch said, "This is fall in Amsterdam. It's raining."

I thought, Oh please. Buy an umbrella.

Usually, I request the shades in our office to be drawn so that the sun isn't streaming in the window and on my desk, making me squint. Today I actually asked for the shades to be opened. (It isn't such a process. I just have to ask Sita, my officemate, to open the shades.) She acted surprised. I said, "Look at the beautiful clouds." They really are massive and unending - and gray.

It's not like I don't like the sun. The sun is nice. It's just having it all the time is sort of tiring. It's like if you have a really wondeful tiramisu and then you have it again the next day and the next - you get the idea. I'm all about variety in my weather and my food. That's why I would hate to live in Florida. Sunny all the time? No thanks.

No comments: