Wednesday, May 16, 2007

My ISE4 Scarf is Finished!

The scarf is finally bocked. I had to wait for Fred to go out of town so I could have some room to pin it down. And I thought I would take this totally gay picture before sending it off. It's really soft and Fred wants a scarf out of the same yarn - lamb's wool and mohair.

So now I'm going great guns on the minature sweater. I have the back and one panel done. (It's a cardigan.) I'm a little bit obsessed with it, so that should help speed things up. Plus, since I've learned the magic of blocking, the seaming up seems like it's going to be...less trouble than I imagined.

I've also made a few plans for things that I would like to complete before the end of the year, not anything earth shaking, but things that will challenge me and entertain. We went to a yarn shop that I didn't know about - that happens to be nearer us in "the mall." I picked up some yarn for a quick fun little project to go with this when I send it. I've got a few other things too. I want to send something Dutch. I better start thinking. Everything looks either very "every day" or super cheesey tourist crap. My perspective is completely screwed up from living here.

When I was at the yarn store, I carried on the entire transaction in Dutch. If the woman had switched to English, I would have been fine with that, but she didn't and prideful me didn't want to ask. Strange thing was, she didn't know the term "worsted." But she looked at the pattern and saw how many stitches to the inch it needed to be and she figured it out. (She was conversant with inches?)

So there are all these terms for yarn and knitting stuff that are different in Dutch. One more group of words to learn. I would have asked for an explanation at the time, but Fred was outside waiting and my brain was already taxed - along with the woman's patience, if the expression was a good indication of what was going on inside her head.

No comments: