Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Pontoon

About an hour ago, I got it into my head to take a walk. It's chilly and a little bit rainy outside, but I thought it would be good to get out for a little bit. There's a steeple a few blocks away and I decided to find out what it belonged to. Of course it's a church, but it was nice to see it up close.

While I was walking along, I saw a cat asleep on a window sill. A lot of first floor apartments have these big, open windows where you can see all the way through the apartment to the back garden. Something about Calvinism and letting everyone see that you have nothing to hide. (We have nothing to hide, but live on the fifth floor.)

By that time I came across the cat, I had gotten cold enough to decide that I was better off inside. I thought that the idea of being inside a warm apartment sitting on the couch knitting was a pretty good idea. Turns out I was right.

To make things all the more cozy, I'm listening to Garrison Keillor read Pontoon, his latest book, which is about Lake Wobegon. I'm knitting a beautiful scarf with an RY Classic Yarns Silk-Wool blend, which is incredibly soft and luxurious and as I listen to Keillor tell the story, which features Evelyn Peterson, an 82-year-old woman who is completely no-nonsense, I can't imagine anywhere else I'd rather be than right here on the couch with my feet up.

Years ago, when I worked 8-5 Monday to Friday, I thought how wonderful it would be to have a little time off during the week to do things that you can only do from 8-5 Monday to Friday. That's what I think I'll really enjoy about this new job. That and spending several hours during the middle of a cold rainy day, when the light is defused by cloud cover and I am happy happy happy being exactly where I am.

No comments: