Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Angkor Wat in Cambodia

I don't have any pictures to post, but I will write a little bit about how it's going.

We flew into Bangkok on Friday and arrived on Saturday at noon. Our hotel was pretty great. We walked around and had a really great sushi dinner and then went to bed because we were being picked up really early the next morning.

We were driven to the boarder and went through Poipet. It's incredibly trashy. Wikitravel says the best thing about it is leaving. That's true.

Our driver picked us up there and we drove the Battanbang Province. It's not such a popular tourist destination and I can see why, but we saw some incredible stuff. I'll write about it later. I took copious notes. Tons of little villages made of grass and little brown babies running around.

The next day, we took a seven hour boat trip to Siem Reap. The boat trip was just incredible. I've seen more boat people than I ever thought existed. Village after village of people living on the water - just like I heard about in elementary school.

Today, we went to Angkor to see some temples, most notably Angkor Wat and the "Laura Croft doorway" - the one shown in the movie I've never seen. Tomorrow is more temples and then a silk farm.

Our hotel in Siem Reap is really nice. The one in Battambang Province was not so nice, but it was clean and they had really good coffee. It was actual coffee as opposed to the machine crap they're serving here. This is an amazing trip and we've only just started. We've taken hundreds of pictures which we'll whittle down to a managable lot.

Hope everything is well where you are.

Oh. And I'm knitting a really wonderful pair of socks that's already making me think of Cambodia.

No comments: