Thursday, January 26, 2006

My Week

I have a nice little extra-curricular schedule. I've created a nice little life for myself here. This is a layout of my week.

Sunday: Church at 10:30, it goes until almost 12:00. The choir sings every second Sunday of the month, which means I have to be there at 9:00 on those days. And I'm on the choir counsel, which meets once a quarter. I miss church about once a month, but not always.

Monday: Every other Monday is my writer's group, Pure Fiction - and oddly there is no website. I'm the head of it, since I don't really trust any of the others to do it. There's a guy who thinks he's the head, but he's really not. I am. He's just a bug-eyed guy who is a control freak. I let him think he's doing something. Like having a fake steering wheel for a kid sitting in the passenger seat.

Tuesday: Every Tuesday at 7:30 in the evening is choir. It goes to about 9:00. It's nice. I enjoy it.

Wednesday: The third Wednesday of the month is the group, Living with a Dutchie. It's a group for people who live with a Dutch person. You can't be Dutch and you must have moved here for a Dutch person. If you moved here and then met up with the Dutchie, you're out. If you moved here for someone who is not Dutch, you're out. This is a group formed by a British woman who has since stepped back to become a mother. I have taken it over.

Thursday: Every Thursday is my Dutch class. It starts at 6:45 and ends at 9:50. It is really long sometimes. I am supposed to also go on Tuesdays, but I asked to be excused for choir, which my teacher totally respects. I must say that I am one of the more...engaged students. People are really lax in class. My obligation ends in April (this is a part of my integration process), but I will continue until November when the level I am currently in (level 4) is finished. After that, I will begin classes for the NT2 - Nederlands als Tweede Taal - level 2. After that, I will probably do something else with Dutch so that it will keep getting better. Fred is...supportive of this plan.

Friday: My rule on Fridays is to stay in. I'm usually so exhausted that all I want to do is cook and watch a video. However, tomorrow, we will go to Haarlem with Fred's brother and brother in law to the sauna so we can steam for a while and walk around naked and have a few beers. Fortunately, we can sleep late on Saturday.

Saturday: We are booked every Saturday in February. We have dinner plans or a party.

I'm busy and I like it that way.

No comments: