Friday, March 24, 2006

Talk Radio

I'm officially obsessed with political talk radio. Of course I can't listen to any show live here in old Amsterdam, but I podcast numerous shows.

When I wake up, I listen to The Rachel Maddow Show . She's on Air America Radio. She's a lesbian, but that's just a bonus. I listen to her because she is smart and funny and she helps keep me informed. During the day, I also listen to Best of the Left, Ring of Fire, Mother Jones Radio, Citzen Against Lies, and Left Right and Center. Not always one after the other, but don't put it past me.

All of these shows tell the same basic stories - what's going on in Washington and in Iraq, sometimes state and local politics. They take the issues apart in their own special way. This is a very exciting time in America. I think The White House is about to explode (figuratively). I've heard some pretty good arguments about Bush - and Cheney, Rumsfeld and Rice - being ousted. I would love to see it happen. For Bush to leave office in disgrace is my Christmas wish. It would give the world a message that America has seen the light and that Americans are ready to admit to the mistake they've made in letting the horror that is the current administration go on for as long as it has.

Still, I feel a little disconnected. I know it's real, but because I am not connected to anyone involved, and because I can only see Bush and Cheney leaving office as good, the whole thing reads/listens like a radio/tv drama.

I had a similar experience with the O.J. trial. I knew that no matter what happened, it wouldn't affect my life. So every morning for that entire year, I got up and watched the news. It was like a made for t.v. movie, or a soap. I told people as it was happening that there was a part of my brain that didn't really get it. The White House is the new O.J. for me. I know that if I was in NYC still, I would feel the same way.

Months ago, I told my darling sister that it's going to get very exciting, that she should start watching the news. I still suggest it. Things are happening now that are absolutely amazing. The brass balls of some of these people in power. It's an inspiring time. I really hope the Democrats win back one or both of the houses in November. It would be wonderful for the country and the world. Plus, it would just add to the drama of all that's going on.

No comments: