Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Returning from Ohio

Monday afternoon, I got in the car with Patty and Grace and headed for the airport. It was raining, but I figured the plane would still go and that I would begin the process of transitioning back to Amsterdam time. I kissed them both and walked into the airport.

At the desk, the counterperson, John, informed me that my flight would be departing an hour late. "That will get you into Detroit at 7:20. Guess what time your flight departs Detroit?"

"7:21?"

"7:05. You'll miss it by fiftee minutes."

"They won't hold it for me?"

"No." He smiled at my question.

"What are my options?"

"You can get a hotel in Detroit at your own expense - because it's weather related, Northwest doesn't pay for hotels - or sleep in the airport."

"Could I just stay here? I have a free place to stay in Cincinnati."

And with that, he booked me on the same flights the following day. I called Patty (via her son, Travis) and she came back to get me. It was a very normal night at the house. Sort of a left overs and canned corn night. I enjoyed it. It's always nice to spend time with Patty.

The only thing that really sucked was that Grace screamed and cried the entire time back to the house. It was raining and she had been in the carseat for hours on end - and Patty had run out of candy, not that it would have helped. Strange thing was that Grace turned into a flirty little angel when we hit the house. She'd sort of ignored me the whole weekend and she was actually making eye contact that night.

The next morning, Bill, Patty's husband, suggested I try to get an earlier flight. He's the travel expert. I called and got on a 1:30 flight. I barely made my connection in Detroit, due to delays and some jackass woman who couldn't run the gate that connects the plane to the terminal. I tried to sleep, but remained in that hovering state for the duration of the flight. The next day at work was sort of...I was on edge the whole day. It is nice to be home.

It was really great to see Patty and talk and get some things talked out. It was also really great to see F. I'm pretty happy with how things are going in my life. I've very fortunate.

Work is good. I like being at work. It's really cold out.

No comments: