Thursday, March 15, 2007

Getting Ready to Listen

...to lots of bad English. Friday (tomorrow) starts my "mondeling" week. This is the week when I sit and have individual speaking tests with each one of my students who are about to graduate. I'm going to have to be really hard on them in terms of grading. I sat and watched a colleague do a practice test with a girl from one of his classes. She was horrible. When she left, he said, "I can't pass her with that sort of performance." She was cute, but that's sort of not what we're testing for. Actually, she was sort of "tarty-looking" as Fred likes to say. I can't imagine being a parent and having a 16 year old daughter who looks like that walking out of my house every day. I'd follow her with a shotgun.

Anyway, her English was pretty choppy and she can't read very well. So it's going to be a little bit of a challenge for me. I hope my favorites do well. It's an amazingly long time I have to sit and talk to them. It's six full days. Twenty minutes each with a fifteen minute break here and there.

Do you envy me?

No comments: