Thursday, May 19, 2005

Some Mornings

Some mornings the sky is completely clear and the sun comes through the windows on the eastern side of the apartment in such a ridiculously bright way that when I wake up I am nervous that the brightness of the sun is going to wake F up. At 6:15 in the morning it can be so amazingly bright.

Some mornings, like this morning, I wake up completely shocked by the alarm. I am confused by it and I can't find the button to turn it off. I actually cursed at it this morning.

Some morings I wake up a few minutes before the alarm is set to go off and I turn the alarm off so I don't have to hear it screach.

Some mornings it feels like I'm already awake and refreshed before I wake up.

Years ago, I dated a guy who had an alarm clock that was a flashing light. After a minute, a small sound began and got louder, but he was so accustomed to the light that he rarely got to the alarm stage. It was a nice way to wake up. I told F I was looking for a new alarm clock, one that doesn't feel like an old parrot screaming in my ear.

This morning I thought about how when I was a kid and going from weekend to weekend seemed like an eternity, someone, probably a teacher, said that as we got older, the days and weeks would go faster.

It's Thursday again, and tomorrow is Friday...again.

No comments: