Friday, December 02, 2005

Sinterklaas Weekend

We're going away this weekend, with our eating group, to celebrate Sinter Klas - the Dutch, pre-Christmas holiday. F and I happened to draw the names of a couple, André and Marianne. F suggested that we get them coffee cups and and espresso machine, so that's done. He also got a couple of poems off the internet. Last year I wrote one, as a matte of pride. This year, I could care less. He suggested getting two and I said, "Great!"

We're going to a place near Het Loo, one of the royal palaces, which is in the center of the country. I'm not sure what we're going to do. Eat, exchange gifts. There will be drinking. I can't imagine what else, but I'm signed up and I'm ready to go. It's a fairly simple recipe. Friends and a house. F wouldn't give me any specifics as to what the agenda is. That's probably because there isn't one. So I'll report back.

It's really cold out and I know that someone will suggest a walk at some point. The Dutch love fresh air. You'd think there was a shortage and that it was some luxury item. I'm all for fresh air, but in moderation, especially when the fresh air that is entering your lungs is freezing - litereally.

Happy Sinterklaas!

No comments: